ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available (for parasites on fish). Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank.
Types of Infections Treated
Remove all invertebrates from the tank as well as any chemical filtration. Use 5 mL (1 capful) of ParaGuard™ for every 40 L (10 US gallons). Repeat this dose daily as required as long as fish show no stress.
ParaGuard™ can also be used as a medicated dip. For 1 hour dips, use 3 mL per 4 L (1 US gallon) in a container separate from your main tank. Dips may be extended if the fish show no evidence of stress. Keep in mind that many diseases linger in the water as well as on the fish. Giving a fish a dip treatment does no good if they go right back into infected water.
This is a tank set up in order monitor and medicate new fish before they go into the main tank. ParaGuard is gentle enough to use prophylactically (without visible symptoms) if needed. Quarantine times vary, but we generally recommend 2 weeks of treatment with ParaGuard™ to clear out any possible external infections.
Some fish are more sensitive to medications than others. Eels, loaches, rays, sharks, and many others are well known for their sensitivity to all kinds of medications. If you suspect that your fish may be sensitive to medications, it is just fine to start with a partial dose and build up to the full dose over several days.
Not recommended for reef aquaria. As an alternative, use Seachem’s MetroPlex™.
100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L
Common Fish Diseases Treatable with ParaGuard
Ichthyophthirius (freshwater) / Cryptocaryon (saltwater)Looks like salt sprinkled on the fish’s body and fins. Usually accompanied by twitching, flashing, and other signs of stress and irritation. Several parasites are grouped under this name, but the symptoms are almost identical. Ich is among the most common infections of fish, and is entirely treatable with diligence and attention to water quality.
Suggested Treatment Period:14 days in freshwater, up to 28 days in saltwater
Special ConsiderationsIt is very important with this parasite to continue dosing for the full treatment period. A break in the medication allows the parasite to multiply and reinfect the fish.
Piscinoodinium (freshwater) / Amyloodinium (saltwater)Similar to Ich, but smaller and grey-gold. Most often seen in saltwater, but can occur in freshwater as well. Velvet is less common than Ich, but the treatment is almost identical.
Suggested Treatment Period:14-21 days
Special ConsiderationsVelvet is a photosynthetic parasite - it will help with treatment if you can turn off the lights while the fish are infected
Bacterial infectionFins appear shredded, frayed, or decaying. Fin Rot is frequently mistaken for damage from fin-nipping fish. Contrary to the name, this is actually caused by bacteria, not fungus.
Suggested Treatment Period:7 days or until infection clears
Special ConsiderationsFin Rot is often found as a secondary infection (that’s an infection that started because the fish was already sick). Make sure to check for additional infections.
Dactylogyrus trematodes (skin) / Monogenenean trematodes (gills)Fish appear sluggish, flash against rocks, and often gasp and show other signs of stress. Flukes are difficult to diagnose because the parasite itself cannot be seen until the advanced stages of infection. Look for gasping, excessive mucus production, twitching and flashing, and translucent spots (advanced infections)
Suggested Treatment Period:14 days or until infection clears
Special ConsiderationsDip treatments with ParaGuard™ are helpful in treating and preventing flukes, but keep in mind that this parasite spends part of its life cycle living in your water and substrate - the entire tank needs to be treated in order to clear the infection.
They’re not always on the fish!
Ich, velvet, and many other parasites spend a large portion of their life cycle as a cyst that is immune to medication and hiding in the substrate of your tank. Remember that you need to finish the full treatment even if you can’t see parasites on the fish any more!
A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertebrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.
A: No, there is no copper in ParaGuard
A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert/plant safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert/plant under every potential water parameter. It has been my personal experience that it is generally safe to use in planted aquaria and would not hesitate to do so.
A: While the primary active ingredient in ParaGuard is unaffected by the presence of Purigen, the malachite green does have potential to be removed by the media. Since the product is most effective when both of these components are present to perform synergistically, we do recommend that the Purigen (as well as any other chemical filtration media) be removed while treating. If removal of waste is of primary concern in the treatment tank, then Purigen may be left in place, but the medication will not be as effective.
A: You can use any of our medications with scaleless fish, but as they can be more sensitive, we would recommend that you begin with a 1/4 to 1/2 dose first and slowly build to the recommended dosage.